The plank is a simple exercise that can be performed anywhere at home, in a gym or on a holiday. The Plank exercise might be very simple, but at the same time it has a long list of benefits as it works on many muscles at the same time.
This particular exercise is a strength orientated exercise which will improve the strength of your muscles in various areas on your body by the help of your own body weight and gravity. Sounds good doesn’t it? So lets look at which areas of your body the plank exercise improves:
- Upper Body – When you are performing the plank your biceps, shoulders and neck are being worked.
- Lower Body – The plank not only works on your abs, but it also puts pressure on your chest, lower back, bottom, thighs and calfs working all these separate body parts at the same time.
So you think this exercise is perfect for you? Want to know how to perform it? Its very simple:
- Get down on a yoga mat in a push up position.
- Bend your elbows 90 degrees
- Rest your weight on your forearms
- Lift your body from the floor in a straight line. Just like in the image —>.
- Keep the position between 30-60 seconds or as long as you can. Repeat the exercise several times.
So here you go a simple exercise with a long list of benefits for your muscles. Just a note when you start with the planking it will seem very hard at first, but you will notice straight away that with every day it will get easier and you will start to challenge your self with the length of the exercise.