Scissor kicks is a simple, but fun exercise for anyone looking to tighten up their tummy and to add some variety in their ab workout routine. Not only scissor kicks will tighten your tummy it will also tone up your outer thighs, inner thighs and your hips. Sounds great doesn’t it?
So what is scissor kicks and how to perform this exercise:
1. Start with getting hold of your yoga mat or lying flat down on your back on a carpet to feel more comfortable. Continue by straitening your arms along your sides or you can prop yourself up on your elbows to give your more support. Make sure your lower back stays locked with the floor through the entire exercise as arching your back could lead to an injury.
2. Keep your legs straight and lift them from the floor by separating them. When doing the scissor kick remember that the lower your legs are to the floor the harder the exercise will be. Find what works best for you and don’t be afraid to take on a challenge.
3. Start bringing your legs towards each other by crossing one over the other before they meet and then bring your legs out again and repeat the exercise. Make sure you are switching your top and bottom leg every time.
You can perform scissor kicks by setting a timer lets say on 60 seconds, you can do the exercise by doing sets with reps. I personally do scissor kicks combined with other ab exercises 5 times a week by doing 4 sets of 25 reps continued by other ab exercises.
- Rep is a number of times you do the exercise without stopping.
- Set is the number of times you repeat the exercise. So if you choose to do 25 scissor kicks 4 times with short 30 – 60 second breaks it will mean you have done 4 sets of 25 reps which will equal 100 exercises.